Tuesday 16 April 2013

The Sword (La espada) - León Felipe


In the beginning God created light... and shadows.
God said, let there be light
And there was light.
And he saw that it was good.
But the shadow was still there.
So he created man,
trusting the sword of tears to kill the shadow.
Men will arrive without tears…
But today the tear is my sword.

Defeated, I have fallen a thousand times on the ground,
But I have always lifted myself up, supported by the hilt of my sword.
And the mystery is there,
So that I can tear your straitjacket with my tears.

Crying doesn’t humiliate me.
I can justify my pride:
the world has never moved,
nor moves now, without my tears.

There's nothing bigger in the world than my tears,
that oil that leaves my body
and pours into the grave,
passing through the milling stones
of the sun and the night.

God has relied upon my tears since the eve of Genesis.
And there they go running, running,
Shouting
And howling
from the day life began behind the sun.

Light…
when my tears reach you,
the function of my eyes won’t be to cry
but to see.

From Ganarás la luz

No comments:

Post a Comment